Translate

Like

Thursday, April 4, 2013

New Review: Ponyboy - Greatest Unknown. The Prettiest Song I've Heard This Year

"Junkyard Country" is how Ponyboy describes her breathy, haunting sound.  I think it's a good monicre, except I usually have a physical aversion to all things country.  The junkyard part makes it better?  Not really.  I reviewed this song for one of my other gigs, EllenwoodEP, and fell in love with it. 
So haunting, desolate, and lonely, you'd swear you could hear the desert sand blowing past on the track, "Greatest Unknown" harkens back to the time of tolerable country singers like Patsy Cline and Johnny Cash, but pulls from many other influences around the same era.  60s Do-wop, Soul, and even a little Blues can be heard, and they marry well with Ponyboy's throaty voice.  Even with all this, Ponyboy and her Pony Boy band manage to pull off an incredibly modern, almost indie track, though I can't put my finger on the element that makes it such.  If you put Mazzy Star in a phonebooth with Pasty Cline, Martha and the Vandrells, and Smokey Robinson, you might be close to describing it.  Either way it's beautiful, the production is clean, and no auto-tune on the vox! 
I can't wait until Ponyboy is more popular so I can hipster it up once again and say I told you so to all my friends.  In the meantime, "Greatest Unkown" is on Ponyboy's Soundcloud page, and it's free to download.  Take a listen to support this great new talent and so I can say I told you so, because I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment